The History of Science Collections host the production of Landmarks of Science, a microform collection sponsored by Readex (a division of Newsbank), photographed and cataloged in the History of Science Collections of the University of Oklahoma Libraries by managing editor Pat Scholten (right). Before Pat took over in July of 2004, there were two previous managing editors: Joe Stine, from 1966 to 1978; and Nancy Larsen, from 1978 to 2004.
Countless volumes and nearly 9,000 Landmarks titles have been released to date.
The journals in Landmarks are particularly noteworthy. Landmarks contain 350 titles on 780 reels of 17th, 18th and 19th century periodicals and academy publications. Some of these journals are not held by the Collections in printed format.
To find out if a work you are looking for is available in Landmarks, try the following:
- Search the OU Libraries catalog. However, some Landmarks items may not turn up when searching the Libraries’ online catalog, nor in the Collections’ printed card catalog.
- Consult our lists of Landmarks books and journals. The books list is current to July 2009; the journals list is complete for Landmarks II up through March, 1984.
- Since the Collections hold all Landmarks titles, one of the best ways to identify Landmarks titles is to search WorldCat for microforms containing “Landmarks of Science.” If a Landmarks title is in WorldCat, it is here. Usually, WorldCat is the most efficient way to identify a Landmarks title.
When you know what you want, ask staff to retrieve Landmarks titles for you.
Note: Landmarks is divided into different parts, which make little difference to the user, but it is helpful to be aware of the three parts when retrieving them. The three parts are:
- Landmarks I, which contains monographs and some journals (produced 1967-1975).
- Landmarks II – Monographs (produced 1976-present), and
- Landmarks II – Journals (produced 1976-present).