A Living Library: The Growth of the History of Science Collections after “Roller-Goodman,” 1976-2012
1949, 1976 and 2012 are milestone years for the History of Science Collections. A new exhibit displays 100 interesting items acquired since 1976.
1949: Everette Lee DeGolyer founded the DeGolyer Collection with a donation of 129 volumes.
Everette Lee DeGolyer
1976: Curator Duane H.D. Roller and librarian Marcia Goodman published the “Roller-Goodman” catalog of the renamed History of Science Collections, containing records for 40,000 items.
Duane H.D. Roller, Curator, 1954-1990; and Marcia Goodman, Librarian, 1973-1994; with the Roller-Goodman catalog (1976)
2012: Rick Luce arrives as the new Dean of the University of Oklahoma Libraries. The History of Science Collections now holds 95,000 volumes.
Rick Luce, Dean, University of Oklahoma Libraries, Peggy V. Helmerich Chair, and Associate Vice President for Research, 2012-present
The items displayed in this Living Library exhibit reveal how the History of Science Collections is a living library, growing constantly to serve a dynamic community of scholars.
As you view the books in this exhibit, look for the interweaving of two stories: the history of science, and the history of the Collections. Look for additional exhibit-related posts to appear on this blog over the next several weeks.
No appointment is necessary to view the exhibit. It will be available through the end of the semester. The exhibit is open during the regular hours of the History of Science Collections, which is located on the 5th floor of Bizzell Library. For accommodations on the basis of disability, call 405/325-2741.