Works published in Europe from 1454 through 1500 are called incunabula. A project funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft to digitize the incunabula of the Bavarian State Library (BSB) in Munich has just crossed the threshold of one million digital pages. At this point, 4,200 incunabula have been digitized. The project will continue through mid-2012.
The digital images are accessible via the following databases:
- Digital Collections of the BSB
- BSB OPAC
- BSB catalogue of incunabula
- Bavarian Union Catalogue / Gateway Bayern
- Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz
- Incunabula Short Title Catalogue of the British Library London
For more information about this project, contact Dr. Bettina Wagner, Abteilung fuer Handschriften und Alte Drucke, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Muenchen, Germany.
Click here for a list of the incunabula held by the OU History of Science Collections, several of which are available in the Online Galleries.